Friday, November 25, 2011

Iceberg Lettuce





I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving and enjoyed the company of family and friends. Yesterday was a great day to enjoy fun traditions that mostly revolve around high fat, high calorie food and it's fine to enjoy for a day but let's get back on track and start eating better so we can all FEEL BETTER and have more ENERGY!

I love a good salad. I usually buy mixed organic greens from Costco but once in a while I'll buy just the good old Iceberg lettuce. I always feel like I'm not getting ANY nutrients by eating Iceberg lettuce, when in fact I am. Not as much as if I were to eat leafier greener greens but still I'm getting something:) No matter what kind of veggies you prefer, they are all good in some regard, so eat up!

Most people in general prefer Iceberg lettuce over Romain, Red Tip, Green Leaf, etc… And although Iceberg doesn't have the amount of nutrients as other leafy greens, it's still a great source of vitamin A, K, C, thiamin, B6 and folate. Iceberg lettuce is an excellent source of potassium and manganese and a very good source of iron, calcium, magnesium and phosphorous. It also contains traces of sodium, copper and zinc. Iceberg has a very high water content and is very low in calories. Therefore, is good to use if you are trying to loose weight. The main health benefit comes from the folate in Iceberg lettuce which helps fight heart diseases and stoke.

Make it a great weekend! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment