Friday, February 17, 2012
The more I research health benefits of several different foods, the more I want to make sure to eat a well balanced diet with a little bit of everything healthy. One of my favorite meals is the shredded chicken salad from Cafe Rio with corn tortillas, no cheese, black beans, and shredded lettuce. I usually tell them to hold the cilantro due to it's prominent flavor. After researching cilantro, I will never omit this amazing and health healing herb again. Bring on the cilantro! This also makes me want to make my own yummy salsa more often. Whats your favorite salsa recipe?
Cilantro was introduced to the American colonies in 1670 and has been a staple in the Americas ever since. One of the major health benefits of cilantro is it's effectiveness of removing heavy metals and other toxic agents found in the body. Crazy, right? Who knew? Below is a list of the rest of the amazing health benefits that cilantro has to offer.
List of Cilantro Benefits:
- Powerful anti-inflammatory capacities that may help symptoms of arthritis
- Protective agents against bacterial infection from Salmonella in food products
- Acts to increase HDL cholesterol (the good kind), and reduces LDL cholesterol (the bad kind)
- Relief for stomach gas, prevention of flatulence and an overall digestive aid
- Wards off urinary tract infections
- Helps reduce feelings of nausea
- Eases hormonal mood swings associated with menstruation
- Has been shown to reduce menstrual cramping.
- Adds fiber to the digestive tract
- A source of iron, magnesium, and is helpful in fighting anemia
- Gives relief for diarrhea, especially if caused by microbial or fungal infections
- Helps promote healthy liver function.
- Reduces minor swelling
- Strong general antioxidant properties
- Disinfects and helps detoxify the body
- Stimulates the endocrine glands
- Helps with insulin secretion and lowers blood sugar
- Acts as a natural anti-septic and anti-fungal agent for skin disorders like fungal infections and eczema
- Contains immune-boosting properties
- Acts as an expectorant
- Helps ease conjunctivitis, as well as eye-aging, macular degeneration, and other stressors on the eyes.
This list is from globalhealingcenter.com
You can still enter into this weeks Valentine Giveaway!
Have a great weekend! :)
Posted by Tiffany at 9:38 PM