I came across this Roasted Beets with Pasta and Pine nuts and decided to modify it just a bit. This recipe is very healthy, although it does take a little more time to prepare then I'm use to. It's worth it though! If you have little kidos who like to decorate themselves with the food they eat then make sure they're in clothes you don't care about or just in diapers:) The beets can stain:) What is your favorite recipe that takes a little more prep work then most? Please share! Thanks;)
Quinoa Noodles with Roasted Beets and Pine Nuts
1 box quinoa noodles
1 bunch beets with greens
3 Tbsp pine nuts
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion (minced)
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
goat cheese (optional)
How To Roast Beets:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut greens off beets and save for later. Wash and trim beets, leaving a bit of the end attached.
- Place beets in shallow pie pan with 1/4 inch of water.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil.
- Bake 40-60 minutes, until a knife pieces the beets easily. Roasting time depends on the size of the beets.
- Remove beets from oven and let cool.
- Skin will peel off beets easily, either using a paring knife to gently scraper the skin off, or using your fingers.
Directions To Make Quinoa Noodles with Roasted Beets, Beet greens and Pine nuts:
- Cut roasted beets into wedges. Wash beet greens well, and cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Cook pasta until al dente, according to directions. Drain pasta, saving 1/2 cup noodles cooking liquid.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add onion and sauté on low to medium-low until soft and golden brown, about 18-20 min.
- Add garlic and stir 2 more minutes.
- Stir in beet greens along with balsamic vinegar. Cook for 2-3 minutes until tender.
- Toss cooked pasta with onion/beet greens and roasted beets. Add noodles cooking liquid to moisten if desired.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Sprinkle with pine nuts.
- Serve with goat cheese, if desired.
Make it a great day! :)