Monday, October 24, 2011
Finisher of the Las Vegas Ragnar!
I'm back as an official "Finisher" of the Las Vegas Ragnar. I had a great time and look forward to my next race. I still haven't decided which race I like more, the Red Rock Relay or the Las Vegas Ragnar. They both have their pros and cons. I feel like the Red Rock pushed me harder which I enjoyed yet the Ragnar was a little more unpredictable which was fun as well. I think the bottom line is that I enjoyed them both and will most likely run another relay race in the future. Here is a list of some of the things I learned over the weekend.
* Hubby and kidos can totally survive without me.
* Navigating through a hotel alone after not sleeping and running 20 miles in 2 days is NOT the brightest idea.
* Hard boiled eggs are defiantly my favorite recovery food.
* Running 5 miles at night through a dry rocky creek bed is not as fun as it sounds.
* Loosing runners is easy to do.
* 2 way radios is definitely the way to go during these races.
* Mind over matter really does work.
* I love relay races.
* Icy Hot for horses works on humans too!
* Pumpkin protein bars are a great pre-race food.
I ran across this pumpkin protein bar recipe and made them for this race. They were a hit. They are not mildly sweet and a perfect carb/ protein ratio for a pre workout meal. Tell me how you like them in the comments.
Pumpkin Protein Bars
3 cups oats
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup applesauce
1/4 cup honey
4 egg whites
4 scoops protein powder (i used vanilla but you could try any flavor)
1/2 cup chopped almonds
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix oats, protein powder and spices in bowl.
whisk together, pumpkin, applesauce, honey and egg whites until smooth. Mix with oat mixture and stir in almonds.
Evenly press mixture into 8x8 glass pan.
Bake for 25-35 min, or until golden brown.
Let cool and serve.