Monday, October 3, 2011

Mango Avocado Black bean Quinoa Salad




This Quinoa salad recipe is from Jeanette's Healthy Living and is delicious! Try it out and let me know what you think.


Ingredients:
1 cup quinoa, well rinsed
2 cups water
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons raspberry balsamic vinegar
1 large or 2 small mangos, diced
1 avocado, diced
1 ½ cups cooked black beans or 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed well and drained
1 red bell pepper, diced
¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped
¼ cup mint, finely chopped
¼ cup scallions, minced
½ -1 whole jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely minced
juice of 1 lime
salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:
To cook quinoa, place well rinsed quinoa in a small saucepan with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low and cook, covered, for 15 minutes or until water is completely absorbed and quinoa is fluffy. Transfer to a large bowl.
Whisk together olive oil and raspberry balsamic vinegar. Add to quinoa and leave uncovered until cool. (Can be refrigerated until ready to finish making salad.)
When quinoa is cool, add mangos, avocado, black beans, red bell pepper, cilantro, mint, scallions, jalapeno pepper, and lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serves 4-6.

2 comments:

  1. I finally made this and loved it. It was easy to make and tasted great. What I was sad about was that it didn't keep over night. When I went for left overs the next day the vinegar had taken over and that was all I could taste. In the future I will probably half the recipe so there are no left overs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you were able to try it and that you liked it. I would agree with not having it for leftovers. I halved my recipe before I put on the dressing and used the naked half for the babies, they loved it:) Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete